Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Wall: Camp Sandugo, Market Market

The rainy season has officially started! If you're tired of staying inside the house all the time (and if weather permits), I suggest that you try wall climbing. There are climbing gyms in Cubao, Tandang Sora, ROX High Street, Imus and Market Market. But since I've only been to the latter, it's only natural that it's the one I'll be writing about. 

Located beside the Market Market cinema, the BaseKamp/Camp Sandugo wall climbing facility is quite easy to spot especially since it stands 44 feet high. It's by far the highest indoor wall in Metro Manila. The wall has five levels where six people can climb simultaneously. 

As I've mentioned in my first post, I started climbing regularly in November 2012 and it was only in late March 2013 that I started to climb twice a week. I'm not a professional nor am I the best but I love climbing and I want more people to appreciate the sport. I'll be posting about my experiences soon but I think providing an overview of the wall wouldn't do any harm.


The Wall


Level 1

Level 1 is a 90-degree wall (a straight wall) with mostly big holds. It's designed for beginners. If you want to get a feel of the wall before trying the other levels, I suggest that you do so. This is a good wall to start learning how to climb down instead of having yourself belayed down. The blue thing you see on the left is a campus board and is used for finger strength training.



Level 2














Level 2 starts as a straight wall but the challenge in this level is the second panel, where it starts to incline a bit. But don't worry! After that panel, it becomes a straight wall again. It's also texturized which makes it easier to smear (putting pressure on the foot in the absence of a foot hold). A handful of routes have been set up here. 






Level 3









Level 3 is the small strip between levels 1 and 2. Some people mistake this for level 2, but don't be fooled. Aside from it literally being just a strip with not so much holds, it's inclined all the way to the top. You can see it in the level 1 photo.










The first two panels of Level 4 are already inclined. It gets heavier though by the fourth panel, just before the small roof (a 90 degree overhang). Climbing up and down this wall will definitely improve your endurance. Tip: if you don't intend to do routes, stay in the middle. That's where the good holds are.

The middle wall. Level 5. Starts with an 45 degree overhang, followed by a roof and you can either pass through the second roof or the cone (which is another overhang). The instructors told me that it's easier to climb than the 4th level once you figure out how to do a heel hook

Recently, one of the regulars made two climbing volumes and had them installed at the wall. I use them as footholds but I really wish I could sit on them and rest there.

The smaller volume. Photo by Thibs Nazario, instructor

And here are the rates: 

5 comments:

  1. Wanna try this out. What time are they open on weekdays and weekends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! They open at 12NN and close at 9PM. Let me know when you're going :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kailangan kasi yun pag first time mag climb. Yung belayer/instructor kasi yung hahawak sa rope na sasalo sa'yo in case you fall and ito rin yung gear na ginagamit pag ibababa na yung climber. Literal na hawak ng belayer ang buhay nung climber.

      Pwede rin naman mag single climb ng ilang beses. Kung tingin mo solb ka na sa 3 climbs, sulit na yung Php 150 mo. Pero kung gusto mo yung tututukan ka talaga nung instructor pero ayaw mo muna mag lessons, sa tingin ko mas sulit yung Php 340.

      Ang kumukuha ng unlimited climb without belayer ay yung experienced climber na. Usually kasi may kasabay na silang ibang climbers na marunong din mag belay. :) (Sorry ang haba na pala ng sagot ko haha)

      Delete
  3. Hi, I wanna try this. Kung single climb lang may belayer na kasama? tama ba? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...