Sunday, June 8, 2014

Heading to an indoor climbing gym

Two years ago, I wanted to try wall climbing but didn't have any idea how or where to start. Yes, I tried Google but most of the things I found were incomplete/outdated. I had a lot of questions... What should I wear? What should I bring? Where should I even go if I want to try wall climbing?

Fast forward to today: I always ask friends to join me (BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT IS SOMETHING PEOPLE SHOULD DO AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR LIVES) and whenever I do, they ask me the same questions I had. I figured others might have the same dilemma and have no one to consult. So I'm putting this here just in case.

Climbing gyms in Metro Manila

(For a list of climbing gyms in the Philippines, visit Climb Philippines)


My first climbing gym! Learn more about their rates and facilities in my other post.

Location: 5th floor, Market Market, Bonifacio Global City

Why climb here: It's the highest indoor climbing facility in Metro Manila!

Rates: Single climb - Php 50 | Unlimited climbing - Php 140 + belayer assistance - Php 200 | Rock shoes rental - Php 50 | Harness - No charge | No shower facilities


View Larger Map
They have three locations:

Diliman/Tandang Sora (aka TS)
Established in 1994, they are the pioneer of indoor climbing in the Philippines! I started climbing here in November 2013 and became a regular by January 2014; I'll post something more detailed about TS soon.

Location: 690 Tandang Sora Ave., Road 1, Old Balara, QC

Why climb here: Their boulder wall is awesome! Training equipment are also available for use. Plus, chances of bumping into some of the country's best rock climbers are very very high. HAHA

Rates: Unlimited climbing - Php 200 + belayer assistance - Php 100 | Rock shoes rental - Php 50 | Harness - Php 50 | Shower - No charge

    View Larger Map
Centro Atletico, Cubao (aka Centro)
You can also play badminton and attend TRX sessions in Centro. The best part? Their restrooms are air-conditioned. So far, I've been there twice and climbed just once so I can't really say much about Centro.

Location: 25 West Road cor. North Road, Cubao, QC

Why climb here: Top rope walls are a bit higher than TS'.


    View Larger Map
BGC Taguig (aka ROX)
Bring a jacket as it can get too cold.
Location: ROX, Bonifacio High Street, BGC, Taguig

Why climb here: Located inside ROX, this Power Up branch offers some privacy. They have a speed climbing clock! Instructors are also really good with kids.

Rates: Single climb - Php 150 | Unlimited climbing - Php 250 + belayer assistance - Php 100 | Rock shoes rental - Php 100 | Harness - Php 100 | No shower facilities

    View Larger Map

What to wear and bring


TOP: Wear something dri-fit that won't restrict movement. If you're the non-athletic type whose shirts are mostly cotton, you can wear something a little loose so it wouldn't absorb your sweat as much as a body-hugging cotton shirt. Tank tops are fine. Girls, no need for a full support sports bra.

BOTTOM: Again, wear something that won't restrict movement. I tried climbing in jeans and it was just horrible. I personally prefer leggings and capri pants because they let me move without having to worry about inadvertently exposing... stuff (because shorts tend to roll up while climbing). Most of the guys I see wear board shorts, cargo shorts or capri pants.

FEET: I strongly advise that you rent rock climbing shoes (because they really make a difference). Bring socks for hygienic purposes. But if you really don't want to rent, I suggest that you wear sneakers with thin rubber soles. No, your hiking and/or basketball shoes won't make the cut. And yes, climbing barefoot will hurt but if you want to go au naturel, no one will stop you. 

HEAD:
Tie your hair if it's long. You can wear a headband or knit cap to keep hair and sweat away from your face. I wear a headband and it also prevents my glasses from sliding off.

Climbing boyHANDS: There are no specialized gloves for rock climbing and you probably won't need sports tape for your first climbing day. Try not to use chalk (Magnesium Carbonate) unless your hands are really sweaty.

IN YOUR BAG: Water, a hand towel, body/baby powder and a pack of wet wipes (to clean your hands after). Bring extra clothes if you want to change after. Power Up TS and Centro both have shower rooms.



More tips!
  • Expect pain and suffering. Climbing can really strain your arms especially if you're a beginner. Don't forget to warm up and cool down! It works wonders. 
  • Climb the wall in the same way you would climb a ladder. Use your legs! It's not always about having lots of upper body strength. 
  • Don't hesitate to ask the instructors or other climbers for help and tips. People will gladly help you out especially if you're nice (or offer free food but that's just probably me)
  • Trust and listen to your belayer. ALWAYS.
  • Don't be intimidated by other climbers who seem to find no difficulty in climbing the walls. Just like in any other sport, learning how to climb better takes time and practice :)


6 comments:

  1. Hi there. I love your posts about wall climbing. It's something aspiring climbers would need to know. I've been eye-ing wall climbing since I was a kid and I think it's about time to make it happen. Do you know the Asian X Games? (I forgot if that's the right name) I'm amazed with how fast the speed climbers are! That's my aim. I would prefer speed climbing, join competitions and make more friends. I'd like to start with basic wall climbing, of course. (; My target is at Market Market! I can't seem to find any training/lessons for speed climbing here in ph. It's somehow frustrating or I'm just not good at looking for stuff. Lol. See you around! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this blogpost. Really found the what to wear and bring part to be extra helpful because most people tend to overlook that part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. now i really know what to bring and expect for my climb, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very comprehensive post. I'm planning to do this once and for all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. Get more Information, Visit: Best Rock Climbing Shoes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...